This blog post was originally published on April 7, 2015, and was updated on February 10, 2017.
Whether you have celiac disease or have simply chosen a gluten free diet, eating gluten free in Barcelona is no longer a challenge!
Celiac? Prefer avoiding gluten? Eating gluten-free in Barcelona is not always easy, but it can be done! These days, awareness of gluten is on the rise, and supermarkets, pastry shops and restaurants are beginning to cater to those who do not consider gluten a part of their diet. Here is a comprehensive guide to eating gluten-free in Barcelona, from gluten-free dishes worth tasting to cool restaurants to check out.
Must-Try Gluten Free Tapas
For many people coming to Spain, one of the first things they think of as far as Spanish food goes are tapas. Now tapas come in many shapes and forms, but it’s true that loads of them are battered and fried, often times using bread crumbs or flour (think croquettes, fried fish or calamari). But this certainly doesn’t mean one has to avoid them! Here are a few suggestions of delicious tapas that are 100% gluten free and 100% delicious!
- boquerones en vinagre (pickled anchovies)
- huevos estrellados (fried eggs with jam or chorizo)
- escalivada (roasted vegetables)
- anchoas (anchovies)
- patatas bravas (fried potatoes with spicy bravas sauce)
- esqueixada (cod and vegetable salad)
- ensaladilla rusa (potato salad)
- pulpo a la gallega (octopus and potatoes)
- tortilla española (Spanish potato omelette)
That’s just to name a few, start exploring and discover the world of naturally gluten free tapas that are available!
While there aren’t loads of specifically gluten free restaurants in Barcelona, the ones that do exist are fantastic. Take your pick from these restaurants, cafes, sandwich shops and bakeries.
- Copasetic: Here really is gluten free heaven. This lovely cafe-restaurant in the Eixample has a long list of breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner eats, ranging anywhere from gluten free crepes to organic, gluten free beer. Carrer de la Diputació, 55
- El Dinamic de BCN: Parlament street, a strip of local hidden gems, is now very gluten free friendly as well. El Dinamic opened up not long ago, and specializes in tapas as well as comfort food like pastas and stews. Passatge de Pere Calders, 4
- El Cafe Blue Project: This is a very cool cafe in Barcelona’s trendy Born neighborhood, serving up not only a plethora of gluten-free bites but also raw and vegan eats as well. Carrer de Princesa, 57
- Teresa Carles: This vegetarian restaurant does all sorts of accomodations, and have some pretty stellar gluten free dishes to boot. Carrer de Jovellanos, 2
- Conesa: You may think this is too good to be true, but Conesa does on-the-go sandwiches with certified gluten-free bread! Try the classic llom i pernil (pork loin and ham) or the escalivada sandwich (roasted vegetables).
- La Castanya: Check out modern Mediterranean tapas with a creative twist at this Gothic Quarter tapas bar that boasts an almost entirely gluten-free kitchen. Carrer de Escudellers, 30
- Syngluten: Freshly baked croissants anyone? Delicious, homemade bread? Head to this pastry shop in Sants for all your gluten free baked goods (and to be safe, order and reserve in advance). Carrer de Galileu, 115
- Homo Sibaris: For the beer lovers, this classic craft beer joint has several gluten free bottles to enjoy. Plaça de l’Osca, 4
- Forn Boix: Another recent discovery, this bakery has been making bread in the Raval since the 1920s. Today, it has a special section dedicated to artisan gluten free cookies. Carrer Hospital
- Messie Pizza: Priding themselves on the only 100% gluten free restaurant in all of Barcelona, their pizzas are delicious, as well as homemade cakes and other delicious dishes at their new second location around the corner, Sense Gluten. Carrer Torrent de l’Olla, 65
There are a few different Barcelona supermarkets that have a wide selection of gluten-free products, the best being Veritas, the organic supermarket with several different locations throughout the city, and El Corte Ingles, the mega one-stop-shop department store that lies in the center of every Spanish city. There is a supermarket in the basement that has a pretty impressive section of gluten free glory.
Did you know that the majority of our tours are adaptable for those who avoid gluten? Let us do the work and sit back, relax and enjoy a wonderful food experience in Barcelona!