Tastes, Tapas & Traditions of Barcelona Food Tour
Key Information: Tastes, Tapas & Traditions of Barcelona Food Tour
|Offered Wednesday–Saturday 10:00am (sometimes we add an extra tour - check your ticket for actual start time)|
|Tours last approximately 3.5 hours|
|Starts at the Mercat de Santa Caterina. Ends in La Barceloneta.|
|€75 per adult, €65 per teen, €45 per child age 12 & under (incl. 21% Spanish sales tax)|
What to Expect on Your Tour
Winding medieval lanes, gorgeous architecture and amazing food – Barcelona is a spellbinding place to visit. But what’s even better than visiting Barcelona? It’s feeling – and eating – like a local. Because once you understand how the people of Barcelona eat, drink and celebrate, you’re in for a truly special stay!
So get off the tourist track and join us on this unforgettable 3.5 hour food journey through two of historic Barcelona’s most famous and charming neighbourhoods – the medieval Born and the fishermen’s quarter of Barceloneta. A local market, a hidden deli, the city’s most sinful pastry and true mother’s home cooking – on this tour you’ll discover tucked-aways gems and tastes that only the city’s residents know, and that are the true flavor of this fabulous city.
Your morning begins with local cava sparkling wine and a classic Barcelona sandwich in a wonderful deli run by two brothers, before heading to the iconic Santa Caterina Market (think of it as the Boqueria, but for locals) for delicious cheeses and cured meats from long-time vendors. You’ll then wind through the twisting lanes of the 13th-century Born neighbourhood, nipping into hidden gems (including a 150-year-old gourmet shop with a special secret) before heading to the timeless seaside fisherman’s quarter where the proud residents honor longstanding traditions…. including taking time for a proper Catalan lunch! You’ll sip your pre-lunch vermouth in a neighbourhood bodega (hint: it’s the city’s original style tapas bar) before sitting down for the grand finale – a lovingly prepared home-cooked lunch by icon Mama Carmen. Since 9:30 that morning Carmen has been cooking her famous fideuá just for us. What’s fidueá? It’s the local seafood paella that’s Barcelona’s number #1 must-try dish. Made with love, by mom!*
And it’s not just about the food. Your expert English-speaking guide will tell you all about the history and traditions of these two gorgeous neighbourhoods – from teaching you to drink wine like a local from a unique vessel (it takes practice!) to hearing about the infamous Barcelona fire parades. By the end, you’ll not only have a full belly, but a rich understanding of what it means to belong to this city and of how you can continue to explore it more deeply.
How much food is included? Everything from breakfast right through to that hearty home-cooked lunch.
As with all Devour Barcelona food tours, you’ll be led by one of our small team of expert, passionate English-speaking guides. And you’ll get a copy of our Devouring Barcelona mini-guide, which is packed with all our favourite places to eat and drink in the city, so you’ll be eating well for the rest of your stay!
Join us to experience the tastes, the tapas and the time-honoured local traditions of Barcelona.
*Please note: This tour is unavailable the last three weeks of August, as a number of the family-run establishments we work with close for their summer vacation. Please contact us for private tour options.
Why choose this tour?
- A truly local taste of Barcelona Ditch the guidebook and tourist traps and discover the tastes, dishes and traditions that are truly from Barcelona. In other words, eat like a local!
- Visit historic neighborhoods The Born and Barceloneta are two must-visit neighborhoods – full of beautiful architecture, age-old traditions and incredible foodie finds.
- Paella – the local way! Barcelona serves up it’s own unmissable paella-style dish which you’ll get to try on this tour. And what’s more, it’s cooked for you by Mama Carmen!
- Get the full gastronomic experience A food tour allows you to try a huge variety of tastes in only a few hours, by providing special portions– not available otherwise! That’s why you can try everything from a sparkling wine breakfast, to sweet pastries, cured meats and cheeses, and even a sit down lunch– all on one tour!
- 15+ delicious tastes! This is so much more than “just a tapas tour”. We love our Tapas, Taverns and History evening tour, but if you’re looking for an in-depth look into Barcelona’s food culture as a whole (from breakfast options, to shopping at the local market, to where to cure a sugar craving) our daytime food tours are the experience for you.
- Support local business You’ll spend the morning popping in and out of local, family-run businesses that are extremely proud of what they do– and you’ll meet some of the owners throughout the morning!
- All-inclusive pricing Your tour includes all food and drink, a local English-speaking guide and 21% Spanish sales tax. The food offered is enough for breakfast and lunch and also includes three traditional alcoholic beverages– though non-alcoholic options are also available! The tour also includes our Devouring Barcelona printed guide to the best places to eat in Barcelona.
- It’s so much fun! From breakfast to dessert, you’ll have a smile on your face and you might start asking about moving to Barcelona by day’s end (it’s happened before!).
*Because we work with small, family-run establishments, stops and tastes may change depending on availability.