Taste of Catalan Countryside Day Trip with Winery Visit
Get out of the city and experience a day filled with food, wine and Catalan tradition like a local!
- Explore one of Barcelona's most charming nearby villages, including a visit to the village bodega and local market
- Take a private tour through the vineyards at the region's most famous winery, and learn about the 2,000 year old wine making tradition in the area
- Enjoy a tasting of the winery's incredible organic sparkling and still wines
- Visit a 17th century countryside home and farm, now converted into a family-run restaurant
- Learn all about the famous seasonal calçot, an incredibly cherished wintertime food in Catalonia
- Enjoy the unique, messy, fun and hearty Catalan calçotada, a once-in-a-lifetime winter's feast!
- Cured manchego cheese
- Anchovy-stuffed olives
- Local potato chips and special sauce
- Chargrilled calçot onions, harvested on site
- Romesco sauce
- Grilled botifarra sausage
- Grilled steak
- Grilled black botifarra
- Traditional seasoned white beans, grown on site
- Fried potatoes
- Traditional custard dessert (crema catalana)
- Traditional cheese and honey dessert
- Vermouth straight from the barrel
- Wine from the porrón
- Local organic cava at the winery
- Local organic white wine at the winery
- Local organic red wine at the winery
- Red wine from nearby Costers del Segre region
- Coffee to finish
What to Expect on Your Tour
If you are looking for a truly local day trip experience outside of Barcelona, this is the tour for you! We will head outside of the city to the nearby village and wine region of Alella, where we have a delicious and authentic morning full of local fun, food and wine waiting for you. This all-inclusive day trip starts off in the center of Barcelona, where you’ll meet your guide and fellow foodies for private transport to the gorgeous village of Alella, just a short 30 minute ride from the city.Your first stop will be in town at the village bodega, where you’ll taste local vermouth straight from the barrel and nibble on tapas at this famous and buzzing local favorite tapas bar. After a stroll around the picturesque village and a visit to the local market, where you’ll have a chance to learn about and buy local specialties, you’ll head to one of the region’s most famous wineries for a private walk through the vineyards and a tasting of their delicious wines.
Finally, the main event! You’ll experience one of the most authentic Catalan winter celebrations, feasting on grilled spring onions called calçots (see more information below!) at a rustic 17th century restaurant that harvests its very own calçots. Then for the next course – a lunch of grilled meats and delicious Catalan favorites, all paired with local wines. Finally you’ll end with dessert and coffee!
What are calçots you ask? They are one of the region’s most authentic and special seasonal foods. Every winter Barcelona locals head for the countryside to feast on these delicious local spring onions which are grilled over an open flame, and eaten with a delicious special sauce. After stuffing themselves with onions, the locals then enjoy a barbecue of grilled meats and side dishes, all washed down with local wines. It’s a total feast!
Sound like fun? It’s an amazing, one-of-a-kind Barcelona experience! On our 5-hour day trip from Barcelona, you’ll feel like a local by experiencing a truly memorable taste of Catalan rustic village culture.
About Our Expert Guides
Your tour will be lead by one of our expert, English-speaking guides. They’re all gifted storytellers who are smart, passionate and talented and whose excitement for this country is contagious!Meet them here!
Map Your Tour
Discover one of the most charming traditional villages and wine regions near Barcelona, Alella!
Rave Reviews for This Tour
We had an excellent day out on the Devour Barcelona calçotada tour. It was incredibly well organised... The entire day had an incredibly local feel about, from the small winery, to the local bar and market visits. The final stop was a local manor house for a three-course meal. The calçots were absolutely delicious and great fun to eat.
My friends and I had the pleasure of joining Devour Food Tours on a trip to the beautiful town of Alella for a taste of a Calçotada festival. We had the most wonderful, entertaining, and informative tour guide, Jaume, who showed us around the lovely town and taught us the cultural and historical backgrounds of Calçots... I highly recommend this tour and Devour Food Tours in general as it was truly an amazing experience. Thank you Devour Food Tours!!
The whole event was very well organised by Renee and our lovely fun and knowledgable guide, Jaime, was just fantastic! All in all a wonderful day out and a chance to find out about the cultures of this beautiful area. Thank you.