Tastes, Tapas & Traditions of Barcelona Food Tour
Explore two of Barcelona's most emblematic neighborhoods, and taste some of the best food this city has to offer!
- Experience the hustle and bustle of Barcelona's famous Santa Caterina market
- Discover the secrets behind Barcelona's misunderstood (and incredibly popular) sparkling wine, cava
- Bite into the city's top-rated (and totally sinful!) croissant
- Discover the hidden secrets tucked away in the medieval Born's narrow, winding streets
- Take part in the traditional aperitif hour in a beloved wine shop and bar
- Experience a hearty, homemade Spanish lunch cooked by Mama Carmen!
- Two types of Spanish ham, including the famous acorn-fed Iberian variety
- Traditional cured sausages of Catalonia
- Award-winning manchego cheese
- Artisan Catalan goat cheese
- Famous Medtierranean mahon cheese
- Award-winning mascarpone-stuffed croissant
- Gourmet chocolate-covered nuts
- Marcona almonds, roasted in house
- Homemade olive skewer with Mediterranean anchovies
- Freshly-fried salt cod fritters
- Homemade seafood fideua (the local paella!)
- Cava, the sparkling wine of Spain
- Spanish vermouth aperitif
- Wine from the porrón (a fun, traditional drinking vessel)
- Wine or beer with lunch
What to Expect on Your Tour
Winding medieval lanes, gorgeous architecture and amazing food – Barcelona is a spellbinding place to visit. But what’s even better than visiting Barcelona? It’s feeling – and eating – like a local. Because once you understand how the people of Barcelona eat, drink and celebrate, you’re in for a truly special stay!
So get off the tourist track and join us on this unforgettable 3.5 hour food journey through two of historic Barcelona’s most famous and charming neighbourhoods – the medieval Born and the fishermen’s quarter of Barceloneta. A local market, a hidden deli, the city’s most sinful pastry and true mother’s home cooking – on this tour you’ll discover tucked-aways gems and tastes that only the city’s residents know, and that are the true flavor of this fabulous city.
Your morning begins with local cava sparkling wine and a classic Barcelona sandwich in a wonderful deli run by two brothers, before heading to the iconic Santa Caterina Market (think of it as the Boqueria, but for locals) for delicious cheeses and cured meats from long-time vendors. You’ll then wind through the twisting lanes of the 13th-century Born neighbourhood, nipping into hidden gems (including a 150-year-old gourmet shop with a special secret) before heading to the timeless seaside fisherman’s quarter where the proud residents honor longstanding traditions…. including taking time for a proper Catalan lunch!
You’ll sip your pre-lunch vermouth in a neighbourhood bodega (hint: it’s the city’s original style tapas bar) before sitting down for the grand finale – a lovingly prepared home-cooked lunch by icon Mama Carmen. Since 9:30 that morning Carmen has been cooking her famous fideuá just for us. What’s fidueá? Think paella’s lesser-known and equally-delicious cousin! Come with us to see for yourself!
And it’s not just about the food. Your expert English-speaking guide will tell you all about the history and traditions of these two gorgeous neighbourhoods – from teaching you to drink wine like a local from a unique vessel (it takes practice!) to hearing about the infamous Barcelona fire parades. By the end, you’ll not only have a full belly, but a rich understanding of what it means to belong to this city and of how you can continue to explore it more deeply.
As with all Devour Barcelona food tours, you’ll be led by one of our small team of expert, passionate English-speaking guides. And you’ll get a copy of our Devouring Barcelona mini-guide, which is packed with all our favourite places to eat and drink in the city, so you’ll be eating well for the rest of your stay!
So put down your tourist books and let us lead you through the authentic Barcelona!
About Our Expert Guides
Your tour will be lead by one of our expert, English-speaking guides. They’re all gifted storytellers who are smart, passionate and talented and whose excitement for this country is contagious!Meet them here!
Map Your Tour
Explore two of the city's most historic and emblematic neighborhoods, the medieval Born and the fishermen's district of Barceloneta
Rave Reviews for This Tour
This was our first food tour ever... We debated on the $100 Canadian price tag, but in the end we would do it again in a heartbeat as the information you get and the food you taste is worth every penny
I strongly suggest taking this tour early during your stay in Barcelona, as it will expose you to the culture of the city, and introduce you to some fantastic places you may not otherwise find. My wife and I revisited a number of the stops from the tour during our stay, and had a great time getting to know the places even better.
Very insightful tour about not only the delicious food of Barcelona but also about the history of this amazing city. We fell in love with this city and we know that Devour Tours helped in a tremendous way