Catalan Countryside Day Trip: Winery Visit & Calçots Experience
Don't miss this exclusive opportunity to participate in a famous Catalan "calçotada"-- a seasonal barbecue with locals! Escape the city and experience an unforgettable day filled with food, wine, and Catalan traditions!
- Explore one of Barcelona's most charming nearby villages, including a visit to the village bodega and local market
- Take a private tour through the vineyards at the region's most famous winery, and learn about the 2,000 year old wine making tradition in the area
- Enjoy a tasting of the winery's incredible organic sparkling and still wines
- Visit a 17th century countryside home and farm, now converted into a family-run restaurant
- Learn all about the famous seasonal calçot, an incredibly cherished wintertime food in Catalonia
- Enjoy the unique, messy, fun and hearty Catalan calçotada, a once-in-a-lifetime winter's feast!
I did the Taste of Catalan Countryside Day Trip on my recent visit to Barcelona, and it ended up being one of the most memorable experiences of my entire trip! The trip gave me a day of incredible fun and showed me a part of Spain I otherwise wouldn't have seen. Jaume was an amazing guide and the food was awesome—I felt like we were eating and drinking all day, and learning about where it all came from, to boot!
I was very pleased with every aspect of the experience. Jaume was the perfect guide/host and the small group size of 14 people lent itself to wonderful conversation. The food and the cultural context of such was perfect. Was pleased to hit calçot season. I appreciated the non-commercial nature of this tour and would totally recommend this experience.
Everything about our day was absolutely amazing. Our guide, Jaume, was so friendly and funny and very well informed... 3rd generation Catalan native. We started with tapas, learned how to drink wine from a porró at the bodega, and then wandered through their local market. Next, we visited a winery. The views were breathtaking and the wine was nothing short of delicious! We finished our day with an authentic Catalan meal! It was all so delicious and worth every penny.
- Cured manchego cheese
- Anchovy-stuffed olives
- Local potato chips and special sauce
- Chargrilled calçot onions, harvested on site
- Romesco sauce
- Grilled botifarra sausage
- Grilled steak
- Grilled black botifarra
- Traditional seasoned white beans, grown on site
- Fried potatoes
- Traditional custard dessert (crema catalana)
- Traditional cheese and honey dessert
- Vermouth straight from the barrel
- Wine from the porrón
- Local organic cava at the winery
- Local organic white wine at the winery
- Local organic red wine at the winery
- Red wine from nearby Costers del Segre region
- Coffee to finish
What to Expect on Your Tour
If you are looking for a truly local day trip experience outside of Barcelona, this is the tour for you! We will head outside of the city to the nearby village and wine region of Alella, where we have a delicious and authentic morning full of local fun, food and wine waiting for you. This all-inclusive day trip starts off in the center of Barcelona, where you’ll meet your guide and fellow foodies for private transport to the gorgeous village of Alella, just a short 30 minute ride from the city.Your first stop will be in town at the village bodega, where you’ll taste local vermouth straight from the barrel and nibble on tapas at this famous and buzzing local favorite tapas bar. After a stroll around the picturesque village and a visit to the local market, where you’ll have a chance to learn about and buy local specialties, you’ll head to one of the region’s most famous wineries for a private walk through the vineyards and a tasting of their delicious wines.
Finally, the main event! You’ll experience one of the most authentic Catalan winter celebrations, feasting on grilled spring onions called calçots (see more information below!) at a rustic 17th century restaurant that harvests its very own calçots. Then for the next course – a lunch of grilled meats and delicious Catalan favorites, all paired with local wines. Finally you’ll end with dessert and coffee!
What are calçots you ask? They are one of the region’s most authentic and special seasonal foods. Every winter Barcelona locals head for the countryside to feast on these delicious local spring onions which are grilled over an open flame, and eaten with a delicious special sauce. After stuffing themselves with onions, the locals then enjoy a barbecue of grilled meats and side dishes, all washed down with local wines. It’s a total feast!
Sound like fun? It’s an amazing, one-of-a-kind Barcelona experience! On our 5-hour day trip from Barcelona, you’ll feel like a local by experiencing a truly memorable taste of Catalan rustic village culture.
About Our Expert Guides
Your tour will be lead by one of our expert, English-speaking guides. They’re all gifted storytellers who are smart, passionate and talented and whose excitement for this country is contagious!Meet them here!
Map Your Tour
Discover one of the most charming traditional villages and wine regions near Barcelona, Alella!