Tastes, Tapas & Traditions of Barcelona Food Tour
Join our Barcelona food tour and taste your way through El Born and La Barceloneta, two of Barcelona's must-see neighborhoods!
- A non-touristy food lover's discovery of the secrets of the medieval Born and beachside Barceloneta neighborhoods
- Barcelona's most delicious homemade seafood paella (Barcelona´s style) with wine at a hidden gem
- An insider's tour of the vibrant Santa Caterina Market, a far cry from the overcrowded Boqueria
- Barcelona's best Iberian ham and gourmet cheeses at family-run market stalls
- Behind-the-scenes look and tastes at one of Barcelona's oldest specialty food shops, opened 1851!
- The chance to learn about local tapas culture over wine in a beloved local Catalan bodega
I had never done a food tour. From now on I'll always look for one and hope it's as good as the Tastes, Tapas, and Traditions tour with Raquel was. Fantastic mix of understanding the history and culture of the region tied to the food traditions and current culinary landscape. The rest of my time in Barcelona was better fed because of what I learned.
We started at a local, non-touristy market and slowly made our way through the neighbourhoods of Barcelona, having tastes of local food along the way. It was an amazing experience and Paulina was able to share much of the history of Barcelona with us along the way. Small, intimate groups. Well worth it! I highly recommend this as a way to see Barcelona as if you lived here!
Favorite Barcelona activity. We had teenagers and adults, both groups loved this tour! It was a highlight of our 12 days in Europe. I recommend to take this tour at the beginning of your Barcelona stay as the information will affect your future dining choices. We wished we would have had time to do another!
- Two types of Spanish ham, including the famous acorn-fed Iberian variety
- Award-winning Manchego cheese
- Local Catalan goat cheese
- Famous Mediterranean Mahon cheese
- Traditional pastry filled with "crema catalana" and covered with crystallized sugar
- Gourmet chocolate-covered nuts
- Marcona almonds, roasted in house
- Homemade olive skewer with Mediterranean anchovies
- Freshly-fried salt cod fritters
- Homemade seafood paella (the local paella!)
- Traditional "bomba" de Barcelona, a truly local tapa
- Authentic local tapas
- Spanish vermouth aperitif
- Wine and porrón lesson (a fun, traditional drinking vessel)
- Cava, the sparkling wine of Spain
What to Expect on Your Tour
Discover two of Barcelona’s most charming neighborhoods—the medieval Born district and the fishermen’s quarter Barceloneta—while popping in and out of family-run shops! Too many visitors simply skim the city’s surface, so let one of our expert guides lead you off the tourist track and right into Barcelona’s winding medieval lanes and fascinating history! Not only will you delve into the traditions of two Barcelona neighborhoods, but you’ll taste the best the city has to offer while meeting the locals behind it all!
Start your morning off with a coffee and traditional "xuixo", a beautiful deep-fried pastry filled with crema catalana and covered in crystallized sugar.
Next, you’ll be whisked away to the local Santa Caterina Market—a far cry from the busy Boquería! You’ll weave in and out of locals doing their shopping as you learn about their daily customs and traditions. Along the way, you’ll make two stops to try 3 types of delicious Spanish cheese, followed by cured meats, including jamón ibérico!
Then you’re off to one of Barcelona’s oldest specialty shops—one of the last of its kind, in fact! You’ll taste three of the shop’s specialties, as well as discover a little hidden secret in the back!
After a morning of exploring (and tasting your way through!) the Born district, it’s time to head towards the fishermen’s district of Barceloneta! Along the way, your expert guide will highlight some of Barcelona’s most interesting corners.
After the short walk, it’s time to practice the art of the Spanish aperitif! You’ll head to a local bodega, where you’ll enjoy a glass of vermouth and a pre-lunch nibble as you learn about why places like these were the original Catalan tapas bars!. Before heading to the last stop for lunch, you will get to try the famous "bomba" of Barcelona with a glass of cava!
To finish off, it’s time for a traditional Spanish lunch! You’ll visit a tucked-away restaurant in the fishermen’s district to enjoy some of the best homemade seafood paella in town, alongside fantastic local wine!
And as with all Devour Barcelona tours, your guide will give you a copy of our Devouring Barcelona guide, which is packed with all our favorite places to eat and drink in the city! So put down your guidebook and get ready to experience Barcelona like a local!
About Our Expert Guides
Your tour will be lead by one of our expert, English-speaking guides. They’re all gifted storytellers who are smart, passionate and talented and whose excitement for this country is contagious!Meet them here!
Map Your Tour
Explore two of the city's most historic and emblematic neighborhoods, the medieval Born and the fishermen's district of Barceloneta.